My Life Next Door

My Life Next Door - Huntley Fitzpatrick the garretts were forbidden from the start. but that's not why they were important.

when i read the blurb for this book, i was practically drooling, especially since the cove is basically a work of art. but then when i actually got around to reading it, i wasn't actually very impressed. if anything, i was kind of underwhelmed. i thought it was slow-paced and repetitive, with a lot of somewhat predictable (or badly handled) or convenient plot twists and devices.

now that it's been some time since i read it (and my bitterness over how ordinary i found it to be is a little less fresh,) i feel more or less the same, except that i think it was actually a decent book that i enjoyed well enough, even though it wasn't anything phenomenal or life - changing like i was hoping it would be. overall, this was a good book if you have a taste for contemporary romances with happy endings and a high tolerance for over the top and contrived circumstances, this book is definitely a pretty decent read. i was able to read it without really sinking too far into it, which would make it perfect for some light summer reading, or as a buffer between books.

let's get more into what i thought about this book, though.

the main characters in this book were actually pretty likable, at least from the pov that the story was told in. samantha was a little boring from time to time, a real fairy tale type of girl whose mother is a snotty witch but she's nothing like her: she has a heart of gold, and a rebellious streak. all of these things are great if they're supported by actual development and well-executed plot twists but none of these things were present. for the most part, samantha just clashed with her mother (because she was awful) and felt little to nothing about her sister (other than how she was the wild child to samantha's angel) and fell in love. the boy she fell in love with (a very forbidden fruit type of boy; wounded artist trope and all) was actually somehow even more boring to me than samantha was. he just wasn't real to me. he was idealistic, like a young girl's daydream about what boys are like. he was compassionate and understanding to a fault, kind-hearted and selfless, funny and sweet. he was also loyal - obnoxiously loyal, and to top it all off: he was a virgin. a patient virgin. the kind of virgin you can give blue balls to and then just be like "goodnight!!" and he just tells you he loves you and holds you close. he was a shadow of a person, and i yawned my way through about 90% of their quirky dialogue and repetitive romance scenes because boys with no personality are the worst, especially when they're put up against a girl with at least some semblance of one.

it was stupid as fuck that so many people wound up hating her for how rich and beautiful she was though?? jesus it was so stupid. what a mary sue.

there was, however, a pretty big twist in this book. i will admit that it was the kind of twist that only happens in lifetime movies - i mean, what are the odds of that specific person being in that specific location at that specific time? of all people, of all things? and then the way things happened after that was like... a fucking disney movie or something, only not in a good way. in a bad, contrived, horrible, "everyone is a villain but us", "we're all out to get you for no apparent reason and we have unrealistic, cheesy dialogue and intentions that would probably never be a thing in the real world!" way. and then somehow between 70% (when things got interesting -- let me repeat that, the plot twist is not a thing until 70%, everything before that is just relationshippy drivel) and 100%, everything got tied up with a pretty pink bow and there was a happy ending.

i'm not sure why i read contemporary romances if i don't want contrived, fairy tale happy endings. i really don't even know.

to quote this genius review that summed up my feelings better than i could sum up my own:
"I dislike the fact that almost nothing happened and so many issues were left unsolved.

I dislike the fact that the "unexpected event" was so obviously implemented there with no connection whatsoever with the story line, just to try to mix things up a little. And the ending was so perfectly convenient for everybody I still feel like throwing up.

I dislike the beautiful, deceptive cover.

I dislike all the expectations I had when I started reading this book.

I dislike the fact that I'm the only one who dislikes this book."