War Slut

War Slut - Carlton Mellick III
”every man, woman, and child in the world was drafted into the military to fight a war against the draft dodgers. this was years ago, long before i was born, long after all the nations of the world united as one. the cowards, rebels, traitors, anarchists. we thought we killed them all. but there were still a handful of them left.”

as far as short stories go, this was a decent read. i’m not sure how much i can say without spoiling the story, but i will say that i was actually somewhat disappointed by the fact that the title was ‘war slut’ and the cover image was, presumably, a war slut, but the story itself actually didn’t focus on sweet or her kind very much at all. we got some backstory about the war sluts, but i just wanted more. in general, i’m not a huge fan of military/war stories, but mellick’s ability to write a dystopia transcends my usual tastes. there’s an obvious overflow of creativity in everything he writes, tons of minor details and subplots that make his characters and settings pop off of the pages, even if i’m a little disappointed by the lack of inclusion of the story’s title subject.

there was a creepy little twist here, and even the fact that 9/10 of my questions went unanswered brought some air of mystery to the table, along with a touch of realism because our main character had a lot of questions that went unanswered, too. i love that things in mellick books don't always end happy, and this book was no exception: i loved the ending.