SPOILER ALERT!

The Avery Shaw Experiment

The Avery Shaw Experiment - Kelly Oram This book was really cute in some parts but incredibly irritating in others. I liked that Paige and Chloe were popular but sweet, allowed to express their sexuality without shaming, and overall really good examples of how supporting characters should be in books. I liked the natural, teasing dialogue between Grayson and Avery, but I wasn't very impressed with the overall "villain" vibe that came off of Aiden at times.

Not to mention, I'm not crazy about the love triangle - especially not if it's two brothers fighting over the same girl, and letting her successfully come between them. I know this happens in the real world, but I don't have to enjoy it. There were also certain things that made me think "really" because the world of chicklit loves nothing more than reaching past the realistic boundaries of probability to make sure that everything is tied together with a nice, pretty bow.

Worst of all, I found that there was a lot of body shaming in certain parts of this book, along with perpetuation of negative stereotypes. Grayson was very piggish toward Avery from beginning to end, thinking of her more as a physical thing or a piece of meat or something than a human being he actually genuinely loved. I was suspicious in his first chapter that he was going to be an airheads misogynist and while I wasn't entirely right, I certainly wasn't wrong. Generally speaking, the way he had a habit of objectifying the girls around him to be rather... off putting. I didn't like that he compared the girls to one another like they were show dogs, either.

This was a good book to give a quick read to, definitely some light, airy entertainment that didn't call forth too much emotion but also didn't make me feel like I wasted my time. Honestly, I could take it or leave it.