The Summer I Became a Nerd

The Summer I Became a Nerd - Leah Rae Miller dnf at 26%.

I tried, okay. I really, honestly gave this my best effort but I would just rather have one of my fingernails ripped out than finish reading it. Our MC is a vapid, arrogant waste, even in her inner thoughts and everything. her entire motive is so... shallow. I thought this book would sound silly but be pleasantly surprising but no, no. it's exactly what it sounds like.

it stereotypes nerd culture in damaging ways. it portrays enjoying comic books/superheroes as being frowned upon when we all know that shit is normal and encourages now. it perpetuates negative stereotypes about females who like comics and games and etc by having m'lady type neckbeards talk about how hot girls don't like comic books -- and worse yet, it involves a female who actually agrees, does not argue, is useless.

no book has ever gotten on my nerves the way this one did. but the writing itself was actually pretty decent so I wanted to keep on reading even though I hated the MC. that's something - I don't know what, but it's something.